Wicker furniture is one of the most popular and also widespread types of furniture. The word “basket” denotes the method by which the furniture is made. The most commonly used material is rattan, a plant found in the rainforests of Southeast Asia. Rattan material is inherently hollow compared to bamboo which is stronger.
However, many people, including the seller, believe that wicker furniture and rattan are almost the same thing. However, there is a notable difference between the two. A close relative of the palm tree, rattan is also a fast-growing grape in the Southeast. Wicker, on the other hand, is not a material but an ancient method of making items from natural materials such as wicker, cane, rattan, etc. These materials are wet so they can be easily woven into wicker patio furniture. Once these materials have cooled, finer pieces are woven into the frame.
The advantages of wicker furniture are:
- Wicker furniture comes in a variety of styles
- The materials are natural and therefore quickly renewable and sustainable
- The wicker furniture looks good inside and out
- This type of furniture suits a modern and more traditional home
- Wicker furniture is also very light and therefore easier to carry.
Wicker furniture gives the home a good look and feel, but it also comes with downsides:
- In bad weather, it is difficult to maintain this type of furniture.
- Even finely woven wicker furniture is very expensive compared to other types of furniture due to the high labor cost of making this furniture
So think of everything and opt for wicker garden furniture.